Did you know chiropractic care can be good for the heart and hearburn? Below are two blog post you may have missed regarding just that. And, we wrap this post up with some common misconceptions about chiropractic, too–I bet you’ve heard some rumors yourself.
(1) How Is Chiropractic Care Good For The Heart?
The Problem: Today’s world eats a mostly unhealthy diet and suffers from chronic stress. As a result, the hearts of millions are suffering.
The Answers: Studies indicate that regular adjustments done by a chiropractor can lower one’s risk for heart disease. Here’s why. It has been found that subluxations or misalignments of the spine can cause imbalances in the nervous system. When the nervous system is not working optimally, the rest of the body will suffer too.
One study that was conducted found that wellness adjustments helped lower heart rates in individuals who had above average heart rates. Researchers found that chiropractic care is therapeutic for the parasympathetic and nervous systems, which relate to heart rate health. Also, it was concluded that individuals with back pain were at higher risk for stress and elevated heart rates.
Another study showed that chiropractic care helped stabilize blood pressure. Not only was blood pressure lowered, but anxiety levels also took a dive. High blood pressure and high anxiety levels can also lead to heart problems, which is another reason why chiropractic care is good for the heart.
Chiropractic care focuses on one issue – the spine’s health. However, the spine is one of the most important parts of the body. The spine is connected to the nervous system, and if the spine is healthy, then the rest of the body will be healthy too.
Chiropractic care is not just limited to injury therapy and injury prevention. Chiropractic care takes care of the whole nervous system, which affects many areas of health, even the heart. Chiropractic care is a safe and effective alternative therapy that boosts overall health.
(2) How Chiropractic Care May Help Your Hearburn and Acid Reflux. Seriously!
For some, heartburn is just a temporary ordeal that visits them after binging on greasy pizza. For others, though, heartburn is a serious condition that affects them every day. These individuals have GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease, and doctors urge them to pursue prescription medicines or surgery to cure it. If you are faced with the painful symptoms of GERD or regular heartburn, there may be a natural solution for you.
Going to a Chiropractor for GERD
A Chiropractor probably did not pop into your head immediately when you thought of heartburn treatments. The truth is that Chiropractors can help heartburn sufferers two ways. The first way is through dealing with a hiatal hernia. Hiatal hernias are the common cause of GERD, and are often overlooked. A hiatal hernia happens when the upper part of your stomach herniates through your diaphragm. This causes the diaphragm muscle to pinch the upper part of your stomach, therefore resulting in acid reflux. If you do have a hiatal hernia, an experienced Chiropractor will be able to identify it and treat it. Usually, those who are experiencing severe acid reflux due to a hiatal hernia have not been able to seek relief through medications or diet changes. Relief can however come with physical manipulations, like a Chiropractic adjustment.
Another way the Chiropractor can help reduce symptoms of acid reflux is by aligning the spine. Studies have found that individuals with stomach ulcers who received Chiropractic care healed much faster than those who did not. There is a connection between the nerves in our stomach and those in our spine. Therefore, realigning the spine will help manage GERD and help heal damage done to the esophagus and stomach lining.
Other Natural Methods to Help Heartburn and Acid Reflux
- Change up your diet. It’s not fun to change the way you eat, but many foods can trigger painful heartburn. Avoid foods that are fried and contain a lot of bad fats. Also avoid foods and drinks with caffeine, such as teas (herbal teas are okay), coffee, and chocolate. Spicy foods or tomato-based foods, such as spaghetti sauce and pizza, are often triggers of acid reflux.
- Don’t lie down after a meal. Wait at least three hours before lying down after a meal. This may mean changing the time of dinner or the time you go to sleep.
- Eat slowly and don’t get too full. Take your time at each meal. Also consider eating five or six smaller meals a day, rather than three large meals.
- Take a probiotic. Having more healthy bacteria in your gut can help keep your stomach lining healthy.
Chronic acid reflux or GERD is a serious issue that should not go untreated. Please remember to consult with your primary physician before taking any advice. It is also best to ask your physician to check to see if you have a hiatal hernia to rule out that a cause of your chronic heartburn. With your doctor’s okay, try a Chiropractor before starting an expensive prescription medication or a risky surgery.
(3) Five Common Misconceptions of Chiropractic Care
Chiropractors are Not Real Doctors
– Chiropractors do have their doctorate and have been educated thoroughly on the human body. It is true that you cannot go to your chiropractor when you have the flu and get a prescription for antibiotics. A dentist in the same way does not have the right to diagnose or prescribe medications, but they are still a very important factor in your overall health. In fact, many dentists have cured a patient’s ailment that did not seem related to the mouth through proper oral care.
Chiropractors are Only for Back Pain
– It is true the chiropractors are specialist in the spine and back, however, everyone can benefit from a trip to the chiropractor. Even if you experience pain or issues in other parts of your body, a chiropractor may be able to help. Why? Because our body revolves around our spine. A healthy spine equals a healthy body. Our body is one unit that works simultaneously. Therefore, we should treat our health as an overall unit.
I Should Only Go to a Chiropractor When I Am In Pain
– Chiropractors are definitely a great resource for when you are in pain, but usually if you are in pain, it means that you waited too long. Go to the chiropractor to prevent injuries and pain, as well as to treat pain. I know many of us only see the dentist when our mouth is in pain, but think of that cavity filling or root canal that may have been avoided if you had gone to the dentist regularly. For the best health, you have to prevent and maintain, not only treat.
Chiropractors Care is Not Safe for Pregnant Women
– Every pregnant woman is unique in their circumstances, but majority of women who are expecting can safely see a chiropractor. In fact, a chiropractor can help moms-to-be with back pain and hip pain. They can also help with morning sickness and help reposition the baby. There are many benefits to receiving chiropractic care when you are expecting.
Chiropractic Care is Not Safe for Infants
– We can understand why there would be some concern when it comes to chiropractic care an infants; a tiny, fragile infant versus an adult who cracks and pops backs for a living. It seems like a dangerous situation. However, infant chiropractic care is not the same as adult chiropractic care. In fact, infant care is very gentle and only consists of a few light massage techniques to align the spine properly. Many parents have found that chiropractic care for their new baby is highly beneficial when it comes to acid reflux, colic, ear infections, and development.