Chiropractors seem to be the most talked about doctors in the medical field – are they quacks or can they really do all that people claim they can? It is normal to have some doubts or concerns when it comes to chiropractic care, especially when there are a lot of news going around about them. It is hard to distinguish what is the truth and what are just misconceptions. Here are a few misconceptions we’ve heard over the past few years:
Chiropractors are Not Real Doctors
– Chiropractors do have their doctorate and have been educated thoroughly on the human body. It is true that you cannot go to your chiropractor when you have the flu and get a prescription for antibiotics. A dentist in the same way does not have the right to diagnose or prescribe medications, but they are still a very important factor in your overall health. In fact, many dentists have cured a patient’s ailment that did not seem related to the mouth through proper oral care.
Chiropractors are Only for Back Pain
– It is true the chiropractors are specialist in the spine and back, however, everyone can benefit from a trip to the chiropractor. Even if you experience pain or issues in other parts of your body, a chiropractor may be able to help. Why? Because our body revolves around our spine. A healthy spine equals a healthy body. Our body is one unit that works simultaneously. Therefore, we should treat our health as an overall unit.
I Should Only Go to a Chiropractor When I Am In Pain
– Chiropractors are definitely a great resource for when you are in pain, but usually if you are in pain, it means that you waited too long. Go to the chiropractor to prevent injuries and pain, as well as to treat pain. I know many of us only see the dentist when our mouth is in pain, but think of that cavity filling or root canal that may have been avoided if you had gone to the dentist regularly. For the best health, you have to prevent and maintain, not only treat.
Chiropractors Care is Not Safe for Pregnant Women
– Every pregnant woman is unique in their circumstances, but majority of women who are expecting can safely see a chiropractor. In fact, a chiropractor can help moms-to-be with back pain and hip pain. They can also help with morning sickness and help reposition the baby. There are many benefits to receiving chiropractic care when you are expecting.
Chiropractic Care is Not Safe for Infants
– We can understand why there would be some concern when it comes to chiropractic care an infants; a tiny, fragile infant versus an adult who cracks and pops backs for a living. It seems like a dangerous situation. However, infant chiropractic care is not the same as adult chiropractic care. In fact, infant care is very gentle and only consists of a few light massage techniques to align the spine properly. Many parents have found that chiropractic care for their new baby is highly beneficial when it comes to acid reflux, colic, ear infections, and development.
More Great Posts